Do you ever feel like this?
Do you have days when you'd rather do just about anything except housework?
Well if you do..let me assure you, you are not alone!
We all go through it to some degree or other.
It takes hard work to maintain a home - especially with a young family in tow.
It can all get on top of us if we don't take care, and we can succumb to lethargy and laziness.
Sometimes we look at our neighbour and compare ourselves unfavourably with her homemaking talents and abilities, and the result for us is discouragement and depression.
This is usually a fantasy we have fallen for, just because we don't see her on her 'bad days' - which she obviously does have!
None of us are Mrs Perfect Housewife with a consistantly tidy home.
But all of us are able to choose how we respond to the chores that fall to us within our own abode.
We can 'put off' what we dislike and sit down to find something to distract us for a while..but eventually, we find that task simply must be taken care of.
If we procrastinate too long we discover that some jobs that were boring, but simple to attend to in the beginning, have now become monumental in the end!
It's far better to deal with things as they arise -whether they are pleasant or not - than to always be running from the chores that are calling our name.
And the thing is..when we get down to work we often feel so much the better for it, as we see the changes in our environment brought about by our diligent and responsible attitude.
Housework is houseWORK.
If we want to be a happy homemaker..we must be willing to do the housework!
And thus ends today's little sermon to moi! lol!
This week's goal for me is to take a good inventory of my attitude to the more unpleasant tasks of homemaking that I've been shirking lately.
My routines are "all over the place" and the frustration is building up :-(
So rather than list specific chores..I name my thoughts and emotions as the objects needing close attention this week!
linking with my lovely and inspiring homemaking friend Gae for her Hearts for Home


Oh dear friend...this is so true.
ReplyDeleteMy attitude towards my work had to change...and I am praising My Lord that He changed it completely.
Routines are such a blessing...
Mrs. M.
Yes - laundry is the main problem for me right now. I really need to get it put away!
ReplyDeleteTrish,
ReplyDeleteAs I made a post today along a similar topic (e.g., staying motivated to do housework), I obviously concur with your statements here.
It's just so much easier to deal with the tasks that need to get done instead of procrastinating. Putting things off for the next day doesn't make matters any simpler. The tasks will simply "pile-up" and make you more stressed!
-L. Rose
Hi Trish,
ReplyDeleteI love your post, your humor, and honesty.
Housework is 24/7, well at least it feels that way sometimes :o) . I have to be honest, I lack in multitasking skills, and usually can only successfully focus on one thing at a time. It's all overwhelming at times, and it's then I realize my priorities are out of order, and so everything has to stop, and I just need to spend time alone with the Lord, and then He helps me keep my sanity :o)
God bless you & your family,
Michele
Thank you, Trish, for this gentle reminder to keep our own emotions, thoughts, and disposition "in check" because these are the "heartbeat" of our homemaking! May you be blessed this Holy Week, with a renewed spirit and joyful attitude toward the tasks that beckon your attention:) Nice to be sharing this journey together:)
ReplyDeleteOh I need to be a very tidy person .......I try but it just doesnt happen ...I am good at getting the laundy done but not folded and put away until it piles so high in the basket of clean clothes :>)
ReplyDeleteA great post !!!
Dear Trish,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your heart this week. I know too that 'work before play' is so much better for me. It allow my free time to be relaxing and joyful.
Praying for you as we enter these last days of Lent and that you and your family have much joy as we celebrate Our Lord's victory on Easter.
Many blessings to you dear friend
God Bless
Gae
I was a good house wife until homeschooling my boys. I have spent to last couple of days realizing that I needed to pay a little more attention to cleaning out stuff. And yes blogging can be all consuming if you let it. Good advice Trish!
ReplyDeleteGreat post and reminder...sometimes I just need to hear it again and again, especially after 30 plus years of home making and 22 years of home schooling, I can somehow lose my passion and need it re-freshed. Thanks for the nudge.
ReplyDeleteGreat post as always Trish, I soooo related, thank you for the reminder about me having an attitude adjustment.
ReplyDeleteWishing you and your dear family a most blessed Easter. Sue