8/4/11

LACE~ the garden of my Today

God's Garden
(Robert Frost 1874-1963)
God made a beautiful garden
With lovely flowers strown,
But one straight, narrow pathway
That was not overgrown.
And to this beauteous garden
He brought mankind to live,
And said: 'To you, my children,
These lovely flowers I give.
Prune ye my vines and fig trees,
With care my flowerets tend,
But keep the pathway open
Your home is at the end.'
Then came another master,
Who did not love mankind,
And planted on the pathway
Gold flowers for them to find.
And mankind saw the bright flowers,
That, glitt'ring in the sun,
Quite hid the thorns of av'rice
That poison blood and bone;
And far off many wandered,
And when life's night came on,
They still were seeking gold flowers,
Lost, helpless and alone.
O, cease to heed the glamour
That blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter
Of stars in God's clear skies.
Their ways are pure and harmless
And will not lead astray,
Bid aid your erring footsteps
To keep the narrow way.
And when the sun shines brightly
Tend flowers that God has given
And keep the pathway open
That leads you on to heaven.
***

Such good words of warning from Mr Frost!
Friends, I hope this week finds you all well and working willingly to make your family home environment one of peace, order rest and beauty.
One of the privileges I really love as a homemaker is to spend time creatively designing the atmosphere of our home. Tweaking a little bit here, swapping some ornaments there, replacing curtains according to the season and throwing open the windows of change can be exhilirating to a simple soul :-)
Oh, I know how easy it can be to give in to feelings of boredom and lethargy when you are a full-time homemaker!
However...I also know that when I pray and seek the Lord and begin to do something to bring a small change in even just one  room, I find my creative juices start to flow and ideas and enthusiasm grow with each step I take!
Suddenly I catch myself seeing the everyday-ness of my homelife with different eyes - much more contented and open to the simple beauty that lies right before me in the duty of  my days...

A Prayer for.. My Today

Lord, help me to see all the beautiful flowers You have planted in the garden of my Today.
Open my eyes to the sweet wonders of Your glory abiding here in  my humble homely surrounds.
Help me to avoid gazing on my neighbours 'garden' with longing for the grandeur of it's design,
when the plan You have imagined for me is so much greater!
Grant me the ability to perceive with clarity the graces of my ordinary days,
for it is in them that I find You.
Close my heart to all that would pull me astray off the path that leads me Home to You.
I do not care for the glittering gold of the endless search for things which beckon and beguile..
 but end in nothing except empty promises and dark futility.
All my joy and satisfaction is to be found in You
 and the duties You have set before me as a wife and homemaker.
May the loving care of my home and family be the priority of my intentions throughout this day.
May the work of my hands be blessed as I tend 'flowers' and carefully prune the 'vines' of this vocation;
  cooking, cleaning and beautifying that which You have provided for me
 and where Your awesome Presence dwells content within it's walls.
May the prayer of my heart bring You praise and my soul worship You with gratitude
 for the blossoms and beauty I shall discover growing secretly
 in the holy mundane moments of this..my Today.  Amen.

***

Ladies, welcome to LACE!

This is a place to share posts on the blessings and beauty of our vocation as Christian women - happy in the heart of our homes! Please feel free to share a devotional, craft, cooking, family event or tea post etc.
Whatever you like - I simply require that it be an uplifting blessing to all.
This meme is based on Philippians 4:8
Whatever is..Lovely. Admirable. Cheerful. Encouraging. ~ LACE
Link to the actual post and not to your homepage.
Link back to here so others can find and visit the participants.
Take the button on the sidebar and display it in your post if you wish.
Leave a comment after linking, and try to visit each other.
Thank you to all the lovely ladies who make this such an enjoyable meme for us each week!
God bless you...Trish








3 comments:

  1. Hi Trish, Another beautiful post especially the prayer. The garden is such a special place to me as it shows God's love for us through His creation.

    I'm joining with you for LACE but my link showed up twice and I don't know how to delete one of them...sorry.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trish...marvelous works by Frost...thanks for posting it !!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trish,
    Your Prayer is Lovely.
    I like what you said about making a start and getting inspired and creative. I love it when this flow on effect happens.
    God Bless
    Barb xx

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends,
I may not get to respond to all your comments, but please be assured I appreciate them and your kindness in leaving an encouraging word as you go. God bless you!

Thank you for visiting me...until next time...God bless you!

Thank you for visiting me...until next time...God bless you!